Tuesday 30 August 2011

What now?

I am two days post race and feel great!!!  My legs were a bit sore yesterday but of course I hadn't stretched after the race so I expected that.  Today though they don't hurt at all!!!  I was so excited this morning when I got up and they felt so good.  My plan at that point was to go out for a run tonight after the girls went to bed but in the process of the day I only got one bottle of water in which is not even close to enough.  I was out teaching someone how to take the bus in Niagara Falls and forgot my water in my car.  It takes 3.5 hours to get from this persons house to the Literacy program he will be attending and back again.  Normally during that time I would have had two bottles of water.  I was sad!!  Of course yesterday I was doing the same route with someone and remembered my water.  Unfortunately I forgot to close my water before I threw it in my purse.  You can imagine my surprise when my purse was dripping half way through the ride!! Anyway,  tonight I thought it was best not to run and to drink lots instead.  Tomorrow is a much more relaxed day at work so I will be able to get all my water in then I will run tomorrow night. 

So now I have to decide what is next for me and my running journey.  I had planned for my next goal to be the 2-person relay in the Around the Bay but that isn't until March!!  I am certain I can run 15k by that time.  The problem I have is that it is so far away.  I know when winter gets here I will need it as my motivation to keep getting out there, especially if it's as cold as last year!!  I need something before that though.  My new plan is to sign up for the 5k Run for the Grapes and the 10k portion of the Niagara Falls International Marathon.  That gets me through October then it is only 5 months to get through instead of 7 months.  There are a few smaller races in the winter that I will probably sign up for but for the most part I will just be trying to get through the worst of the cold and increase to at least 15k.  I'm pretty sure that I could increase to that by Christmas and then just work on maintaining it from there.  Actually I am fairly confident that I could increase to that in the next month or so but I think I will focus on maintaining the 10k for a while and perhaps working on gaining some speed.

Now is the really hard part for me.  I have been really up and down in what I am eating.  I have definitely cut back on junk and portion sizes but I have also gotten lazy and need to change that.  So next week I am on vacation and Meag will have moved in.  We are going to take a day and cook a bunch of things that can be frozen.  I usually do this later in the fall when the weather is getting cooler but I think I need to do it sooner this year.  The things we will make are a chili that is loaded with veggies, "hamburger" soup (I use ground turkey) and veggie soup.  I am also thinking of making a homemade lasagna which I have never done before.  I am going to load up the sauce with veggies and use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef.  That will be supper that night.  It's also Christina's birthday this week and her party is on Sunday.  We always make homemade burgers for these parties lately and this time I am going to make some of them with half ground beef and half cooked lentils.  I saw this in a magazine and thought it was a great idea.  Adryanna is a horribly picky eater so I am going to give her one of those but not tell her and see if she likes it.  If it goes over well I will make them that way from now on. 

Anyone out there with some other good easy recipes?  Any tricks for getting more nutrition into some of the everyday favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment