Friday 12 August 2011

That's more like it!

After a wild week of illness and fatigue I got out for a run last night after Adryanna's soccer game (they won again!).  I left just before 8pm and headed down to the canal path.  It's just under a kilometer from our front door to the canal which is perfect warm up distance for me.  I then headed north(ish I'm not good with that kind of directions).  I continued almost to the end and turned around at 2.5k.  I am by no means a fast runner and have had small children yell out to their parents "Mommy look how slow that lady is running!!"  however I did complete the first half of my run in record time!  I did 2.5k in 22:29 which would put my 5k at about 45 minutes which is my fastest 5k.  On the way back I had to stop a couple of times to wait for cars to go by before I could cross the street so my total time isn't very accurate.  Either way I am pretty proud of my run last night.  I felt strong and confident. 

Tomorrow morning I will set out to run 10k for the first time ever.  I am terrified!  I need to really work on the mind over matter part of running.  I constantly freak myself out before my longer runs.  I start to think too much and start to second guess myself.  This leads to feeling sick and that makes running so much more difficult.  Last night's run is helping to put some of that fear behind me this week.  I have been taking my iron supplement as directed by the doctor, I am almost finished my antibiotics for the strep throat (feeling much better by the way) and I am hydrated.  I feel good!  I will go to bed early tonight after making sure I have all my running gear set out for the morning.  I will get up and have my light breakfast then head out.  Twelve hours for now I will be well into my run.

This weekend is one of the only weekends this month that we don't have anything planned, actually it's the only one.  There are a couple of local festivals going on that we might attend or we might just stay home and relax.  No matter what we do it's going to be a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment