Monday 15 August 2016

Changes, challenges and temptation!

Oh hi again.  It's been a really long time since I have posted because I got really tired of posting the same thing over and over.  The broken promises of better eating. The big plans that I didn't always fulfill. Today that changes. 

Today I take back power over food and over my life.  Today I have cut refined sugar from my life.  A few months ago I decided it was time for some changes. My stomach was in constant discomfort. I was tired and cranky. I was still exercising regularly but not eating well. I decided to see a Naturopath in hopes of being able to heal my body instead of treating symptoms. I am happy to say that the heartburn that used to plague me without meds is now mild to none most of the time. We are also working on my PCOS issues. A couple weeks ago I asked her for tips on cutting out refined sugar since I know it is a huge issue for me.  She ran with it which brings me to today.

Today is day one of my life without refined sugar. It starts with a two week challenge where I will keep accountable and receive support. Once that is over we will see what is next but the thing I know is that the sugar stays gone! 

So why did I come back here to talk about all this now?  Journalling!!  Each day I am encouraged to write about a topic she sends me.  Today's topic is Temptations!!

What are my biggest temptation spots? What am I going to do to deal with them?

The worst spots for me when it comes to sugar are Starbucks, Tim Horton's and my couch! The first two are easiest to avoid.  I love Starbucks but also have no problem just getting a black coffee. Tim Horton's I don't love as much but I go there with people I support at times and can just get black coffee there too.  How will I avoid getting more? I just won't bring my wallet in.
My couch is another story though. If the stuff isn't in my house it isn't going to be so bad. So I just won't buy it.  The trouble will be when other people bring it in. My mom likes sweets and will buy them for her. My kids now get their own money and can get to the corner store to get things.  The other issue with the couch is boredom. When I sit down in the evening after the kids go to bed is when I am most tempted to snack. I have been working on that over the last couple of months but still struggle. I have other things I can do but sometimes the best solution is to just go to bed when the kids do.  Since I want to be getting by at 5:30am to workout this is helpful.
I am sure other Temptations will come up as time goes on. Dinner out with friends, get togethers at other peoples houses and so on but I will deal with those as they come. I can look at menus ahead of time, bring something to share and just be mindful of what I am doing. It will all work itself out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment