Sunday 21 August 2016

Week One Done

It has been a full week with no added or refined sugar.  Overall things have been easier than I expected.  I feel more energy most of the time and not near as much heartburn.  I have found that things taste differently now.  Salty is extra salty and sweet is extra sweet. 

Some challenges through the week were around specific foods that didn't seem to come without added sugar.  Ketchup being a big one.  Today I found a recipe and made my own.  It turned out pretty good. 
The other struggle was a little different.  I don't want my kids to think this is about can and can't have things.  I want them to understand that I am making a choice and why.  I try to talk about food being fuel for our bodies like gas for the car.  I explain that I want the best fuel I can get. I think they are starting to get it.

Something really cool that I have found this week is that my heart rate is lower.  I got a smartwatch about 2 weeks ago and have played with checking my heart rate a few times a day.  The readings have been considerably lower this week without the sugar and with better foods.

This coming week I will continue to find new foods and recipes that are refined sugar free.  I will also incorporate a couple more workouts.  I got 4 in this week.  I find that time at the gym a great time to relax and think.  I always feel much more refreshed at the end.  I think I will also try to get to a Yoga class at the YMCA.  I went to one before but the instructor wasn't great.  I will try again.  Of course I will also keep going with my meditation. 

I'm very happy I took this first step to eliminating refined sugar.  It only gets better from here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment