Tuesday 16 August 2016

Slaying the Inner Critic

Ah that pesky voice in your head that tries to tell you what to do.  That inner critic that doubts and tries to sabotage.  We all have it and we all have a choice of whether to listen or ignore.  For me to be successful I need to ignore.  Sometimes that voice sounds an awful lot like ourselves and sometimes it sounds like someone we know. Either way we have to find a way to stop them. It's hard but worth it.  I think when it comes to this challenge the hardest thought is going to be the one that says "it's just a little sugar, it won't hurt". You know what? For some people that might be right but not for me.  I have learned that a little turns into a lot.  So to that voice I have to say stop and I have to say that I am worth this change no matter what happens. I am worth the effort it is going to take to make sure I am healthy and here for a very long time. The voice may tell me it's too much work to read every label and ask for information but I will remind that critic that it told me running a half marathon would be too much work and look where that ended.  The next couple days will probably be the worst when I start feeling the withdrawal and the voice tells me to just give up so that I won't feel sick. I just have to tell it to shut up and remind myself that the gross feeling will pass and I will be glad for it in the end.  We just have to keep shutting that inner critic down and in time (I hope) it will give up! 

I also know there will be outer critics who think this is silly or not necessary but to me it is and I just have to be strong and put their doubt aside. I am worth it and that's that.

Day two with no refined sugar is just about done and I am rather proud.  I had opportunities to slip today but I didn't.  I had two meetings that involved being around temptations and both times I made good choices. The first chance I chose a plain old black coffee but the choice I am most proud of is when it came to dinner. I was working late and one meeting involved dinner at a pub.  I didn't get to choose the location but I asked lots of questions and asked for modifications to ensure that my meal had no refined sugar in it.  That is a huge success for me because I don't like to be a bother but I put myself first this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment