Tuesday 23 August 2016

Let's go to the Ex....Oh boy!!!

So far this change hasn't posed too many unknown or unpredictable moments.  I have been able to plan and control my meals quite easily and have had lots of options of good choices available.  That won't always be the case so I need to be able to deal with those unknown situations.  I asked for help today with it and was told to make a "if/then" plan.  So IF ? happens THEN I will.....

This conversation started because my daughter's favourite birthday outing is to go to the Canadian National Exhibition.  I was feeling pretty stressed about how I was going to manoeuvre things. There is a LOT of food and not good stuff.  I don't know if we are allowed to bring in our own food because we have always gotten food there.  It's part of the experience really.  The media tells us all the good and weird foods there are going to be weeks before it starts.  So I asked for help, was given it and have made an If/Then plan.  I feel much better now even if I don't know exactly what will happen I have a plan.

I have started with sending an email asking what the policy is on bringing food in.  I have also looked at the website to see all the options for food.  There are so many and no menus so it is near impossible to know what is going to fit my choices and what is not.  So I have a two tiered plan I think.  The first is, IF I can bring in food, THEN I will bring most of the food we need for the day. I will still buy the rest of the family one meal.  IF I can find something there THEN I will buy me one too. IF I can't THEN I'll make sure I have an extra peanut butter sandwich in my bag just in case:).

IF I can't bring food in THEN I will do way more research.  I have found a couple of places there that I know I can get a salad so that is always an option.  IF I have to buy my food there THEN I will spend some of the time before we are starving to walk around the booths and find something that fits my choices so that when we are ready to eat I can just get it.  It is always so crazy there that when it is time to eat you have to just pick something and go with it. Sometimes the lines are long, it's hot and the kids aren't terribly patient so planning is going to be key. I know I can do this.  I know it won't be as hard as I think (or maybe it will) BUT it will be totally worth it. Once I do this all other situations will be that much easier.

Today has been another good one.  I had a chocolate cake temptation but chose a pear instead.  I know it is no where near the same but it was still good.  The cake actually smelled too sweet.  Don't get me wrong there was a huge part of me who wanted a tiny bite but I just told myself that it wouldn't be as good as I thought, would give me incredibly bad heartburn and I would feel like crap after.  I made the good choice and won't regret it later.  It's amazing what you can do when you really decide you are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment