Friday 2 September 2016

CNE Day!

Yesterday was my daughter's birthday and our annual trip to the CNE.  I went into the day with a plan and stuck to the plan. 

We got there just after 10am but the rides don't open until 11am so we made a stop in the food building.  It's not busy in there at that time.  I looked at a few places and found a Mexican place with lots of fresh ingredients.  I checked what they had and how things were made.  Their stuff all seemed to be safe so I decided that would be my dinner.  We had lots of food with us for snacks and lunch.

Off to the rides we went.  The kids rode for a while and then asked for lunch.  Interestingly none of them asked to buy any food at that point.  We sat down and ate our sandwiches, veggies and nuts.  Then it was back to the rides and the other attractions.  My kids love to go into the farm building to see the animals and to wander the vendor booths.  They asked for some popcorn later in the afternoon and we asked about the topping.  The man assured us there was no sugar in the seasoning so I had a little of that.  I love popcorn:). When dinner came everyone knew what they wanted, except my husband.  He figured it out while the rest of us got ours.  I stuck with my plan and got a burrito bowl with only fresh ingredients in it to ensure I wasn't getting hidden sugar in sauces. It was amazing.  Then the kids wanted ice cream so they got some.  I was too full from my bowl to even think of wanting some.  Then it was more rides and home.  We were there for about 10 hours and I stuck to my plan the entire day.  It wasn't hard at all.

A couple things I noticed.  When we passed places selling sweet, sugary things the smell actually bothered me.  It was so sweet smelling that it was gross.  The other thing was that my kids who usually ask for cotton candy, slushies, lollipops and anything else they see didn't ask for anything extra, until after they had ice cream and were getting tired.  Then my youngest started with the slushies and candy apples(which are just gross).  She didn't argue at all when she was told no though.  Either they are starting to get it or just knew I would say no anyway.

It was a great day out and my daughter is already planning next year's birthday trip:)

No comments:

Post a Comment