Wednesday 28 September 2016

Getting Flexible

A few weeks ago I wrote about how scary the thought of being flexible around sugar was.  Even the thought of it made me super anxious.  There have been plenty of times where things full of sugar have been an option and I have thought about that flexibility part.  While I will still say I don't ever intend to have refined sugar in my food choices again I can say that I can be flexible in my own way.

In all possible areas I will make sure I have a comparable option.  For my daughter's birthday in a few weeks I will have a naturally sweetened carrot cake for example.  In cases where I don't bring an option I will avoid eating the sugary item.  In some cases I may just not know about ingredients and will have to make an educated guess and go with my gut.  Last night I was at an event where there were many items I knew had sugar in them and a couple of items that were possible.  I had mixed up the length of the event and had expected there to be a fruit and veggie tray so hadn't brought anything and was starving.  I opted for the item I felt would be safest.  It was a chicken skewer with spices on it.  I asked questions and was told by the server that she didn't know but that it seemed to be just spices.  I took a chance, had a small one and drank lots of water.  It was spicy and not at all sweet so I think it was fine. 

There will always be things that are questionable and things that clearly have sugar.  When it comes to times where I know there is sugar I will respectfully decline.  It just isn't worth it to me.  I will however be better at planning and make sure I have options.  To this point it hasn't been an issue.  More and more I don't want the super sweet things.  Just the smell makes me nauseous at times.

It's like with yoga, flexibility comes with practice and right now my flexibility is pretty tight:)

No comments:

Post a Comment