Friday 23 September 2016

Will Power, not so powerful??

Anytime someone makes a change to eat healthier they start talking about will power.  We give so much credit to this ever elusive will power but how powerful can it be if it fails us over and over? 

A decision to be healthier has to be more.  So many people start something out guns blazing and then after a few days or weeks fizzle out and blame it on lack of will power.  I disagree.  I think it's a lack of planning and habit forming.  Perhaps even as far as lack of commitment and a wrong mindset.  I think it comes down to why you are making a change and how you view that change. 

When I made the decision to become refined sugar free it wasn't(still isn't) about a short term fix or a weight loss attempt.  It was about making my insides work properly, making my system run properly.  I came into it with the mindset of making a choice not to eat refined sugar NOT a mindset of can't eat refined sugar.  I have said multiple times that I CAN eat whatever I want but I am choosing to abstain from sugar.  It gives me the power not some elusive will. 

It requires work too.  I can't just say I am not going to eat it.  I have to have a plan for just about every situation.  Anytime I can't eat at home I have to have food with me that fits my choices.  If I am going to choose to eat out I have to plan ahead and know what I am going to eat.  If there might be sugar filled foods at a meeting I have to have an alternative so that I am satisfied and not as tempted.  I have to look at what my goals are long term and ask if it is worth it to have that bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment