Friday 6 April 2012

Happy Easter:)

I love long weekends:)  I enjoy knowing that get an extra day or two to relax and spend with my family.  I love that most long weekends mean spending time with good friends and being social.  This long weekend started with a run.  I didn't get to run last night because I worked late and then had to do some last minute shopping for the weekend.  I decided that I was supposed to run 8k last night so I decided to do it this morning.  I'm supposed to run 8k tomorrow as well but I'm not really sure when that will happen.  We have a pretty busy day planned but I'm sure I'll figure it out.  Back to today's run though:)  I ran a route that I haven't done since last summer.  The sun was shining and the temperature was just right.  I headed out to the canal path which has just re-opened.  It was so beautiful!  I took the long way to get there so that I could do a sort of out and back loop that would bring me to 8k just as I got to my street.  I could then walk the last 300m or so to cool down a bit.  What I didn't think of is that the spot I reached the path at has a pretty good sized hill.  Last year I could not run up that hill.  Today I killed it:)  There are a couple of smaller hills right after that one and I could run all of those too.  After that it is pretty much a gradual downward slope to the end.  I was running into the wind but that was OK because it kept me cool.  On the way back I quickly realized that it was much warmer than I thought and had to shed a layer.  I also realized that the gradual downward slope became a gradual incline.  Near the part where I was turning off to come home the incline increases a bit.  It's nothing significant but it's something.  Last year I used to have to prepare myself for it, this year I barely noticed it.  I sailed to the top and headed home.

These are the runs where I realize how far I have really come.  How much stronger and healthier I am.  These are the runs that remind me why I run:)

I hope everyone has a fantastic long weekend filled with family, friends and fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment