Saturday 23 November 2013

What to do? What to do?

Earlier this week I went to the doctor to get my flu shot and a couple of prescription refills.  I didn't have an appointment but my doctor's office is connected to a walk-in clinic so I didn't think it would be an issue.  Turns out it was.  He would give me the flu shot but I would have to come back for the refills.  Really??  How long does it take to hit print on the computer?  I couldn't get an appointment but he was working the walk-in this weekend so they said to come back this morning as soon as they opened and he would be able to do it.  They said it would be really busy so to come before they open to get in line.  They open at 9am.  Usually I'm running at that time so I was a little torn but I needed the prescriptions.  As soon as I walked out I knew what to do.  I would run to the clinic.  It's almost 2k from home so I thought I could leave early enough, run a route that would take me about 5k to get there and arrive at about 8:45am.

Last night I planned out a route and got everything ready.  This morning I left the house at 8am in the freezing cold and wind.  It was a tough run with a little more walking than I would like. I was running into the wind most of the way and the cold was burning my lungs that are not used to that kind of cold yet. I had to cross some very busy streets and had to stop for red lights a couple of times.  It was really cold as soon as I stopped.  Luckily the lights turned green fairly quick and I was back on my way.  When I reached the clinic my Garmin watch said I had done the 5k in 46:11.  I was not terribly happy with that but then figured in the walking and was happier.  When I got home and plugged my watch in to upload I was much happier.  I didn't stop my watch when I had to wait for those 3 red lights!!  My actual moving time was only 44:12:)  I am signed up for the Resolution Run on New Years Eve and would love to run it in under 45 mins.  By under I mean anything that starts with 44:... is a win.  I have never finished a race in under 45 mins so that is my goal. I don't care how much under it is.  It could be 44:59 and I'll still be happy:)  Running to me isn't about winning or losing (except against the voices and people who say I can't do it), it's not about being fast or slow.  It's about health plain and simple.  I am overweight, obese even, and have chase away all those bad demons that threaten to shorten my life.  I don't have any weight related health issues yet and I plan to keep it that way.  I have health issues that are made worse by my weight or that make it harder and harder to lose weight.  I will not let my health get worse when I have total control over the outcome.  I run to save my life and set the best example possible for my family.

1 comment:

  1. Great job on running to the clinic! Next week is the Mock 5k and I am expecting to finish between 45 - 50 minutes. You are right that it is all about your health. You are young. Good for you for taking care of it now. I feel like I missed out on a lot of fun when my kids were growing up because of the excess weight. I have a lot of weight-related issues, and take multiple medications. I am hoping to be able to drastically reduce or even eliminate most, if not all, of them.

    ReplyDelete