Monday 4 November 2013

Sore Throats and Smoothies

Just when I think I am on track I get thrown a curve ball.  This time in the form of Strep Throat.  Saturday I spent the day in PJ's huddled under a blanket fighting a fever and chills along with a terrible sore throat.  Sunday when I woke up and my throat felt worse I knew it was time for a trip to the doctor. I always second guess myself when it comes to going to the doctor.  Am I being silly?  Am I really sick enough to go?  Is he just going to look at me and say you wasted an hour of your day sitting here because there is nothing I can do?  Well this time was no different until he pointed that light in my mouth and said "Oh goodness that is bad".  So off I went with a prescription for some antibiotics and instructions to take acetaminophen and ibuprofen (alternating between the two) for the pain and swelling.  Great I thought, I'll get these drugs started and be ready to go to work tomorrow.  Since I am sitting here writing this when I should be at work it is clear that I was wrong.  I feel somewhat better today but it still hurts right up to my ear when I swallow and feels tight and dry all the time.  So I called in sick today (except for one meeting late in the day that I can't miss) and will spend the rest of the day on the couch relaxing.

This weekend wasn't all bad though!  I started a 30 day smoothie challenge on Saturday which is fun.   They send me 5 recipes a week for the month and the idea is that you will then repeat two of them.  I have tried three so far and they have been great!  Smoothies are nothing new to me.  I have been drinking them for breakfast nearly everyday for a couple of years but never try anything new so I thought this might be a way to add a little variety.  Some of the recipes look kind of scary, some I am really excited to try and one is almost exactly the  same as the one I normally drink.  Today was "Great Ginger Zinger"  I thought it would be a good one for my throat.  I has spinach, ginger, pear, oranges and avocado.  I don't have the greatest blender on the planet so the texture wasn't as smooth as it could have been but it still tasted great.  I'm hoping the ginger and all the vitamin C will help to blast this throat thing out the window.

I mentioned in my last post that I was going to start weekly weighins again.  I was going to do this on the weekend but decided it would be better to do Mondays since that is generally when I weigh myself anyway. I had to look way back in my posts to see what the last weight I posted was.  I don't remember the exact number but it was 235.something:)  I said my hope was that I would be about the same as I was then and I was so happy to see that I was less!!  Today when I hopped on the scale I was 231.2 which is wonderful!  I have been weighing myself semi regularly but it has been a couple of weeks so this number was quite a surprise.  My first thought was that it was just because I have been sick but then I realized that being sick has nothing to do with it because I have still been eating regularly, soft foods but still a normal amount of food.  So I will take this number as what it is and go with it.  I would love it if by next week I can record a number in the 220's!!!  I haven't been there in a very long time.

1 comment:

  1. That's great that you're down!!! You've been working hard for it, so it's definitely not because of your sickness. :)

    ReplyDelete