Wednesday 6 November 2013

A Special New Goal

Today while I was at the gym I started thinking about goals.  I have lots of big goals but not many small goals. I think small goals are important to prevent getting frustrated when you don't meet the big goals as fast as you want.  So I decided I needed to set some small goals around my weight loss but I didn't want them to be number goals.  You know the "I will lose 10lbs by Christmas" kind of goals. Those aren't bad goals but not everything needs to be about weigh lose. I just needed to think of what those small goals could be!

Then when I was getting my stuff from my locker a small  goal came to me.  It's small and huge at the same time.  Nine years ago I got married. For the last 7 years I haven't been able to wear my rings on my ring finger.  They fit my baby finger, may even be a little big for it.  On a good day I can squeeze them on my ring finger but never leave them there long or they start to hurt as my hands swell through out the day.   A sane person might have had them sized by now but that's just not me.  We got it priced out once and the price wasn't too bad but  I have always had the goal to lose weight which would then mean they would get too big and have to be sized down again. It just didn't make sense to spend the money twice.  So tonight it came to me that one of my tangible and realistic goals will be to be able to wear my rings on my ring finger.  I suppose it has always been a goal but not one I have seen as a goal more of a want.  So given the fact that they can go on now, I don't think it needs to take a long time to reach this goal which makes it a small goal.  I feel like if I work really hard I might even get there by Christmas.  Officially I will say that the goal is to be able to wear my rings on the proper finger by my birthday which is just over three months from now.

As for my workout today it was spectacular!  I did my usual routine but found I felt much stronger.  Maybe it's the fact that last weeks was more difficult because I was fighting this throat infection before I even knew it was there.  Maybe it's because I have been eating better.  Maybe it's because I am actually getting stronger.  I don't care the reason right now I just care that it felt great.  I am very much the person that is motivated by things that feel good and discouraged when things are hard.  Running being the exception to that I guess because running is always hard!  

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Selena! Small goals are great! And non-scale victories can be more motivating than a number. I was there at one time...couldn't wear my rings. It was an amazing feeling when I could wear them again. I know I am still big, but, believe it or not, I am about 90 lbs less than the highest I ever weighed in at WW (323). I have had a LOT of ups and downs over the years. I still have probably another 90 to go. My biggest goal, I think, is to just be able to put on my wedding dress again. That is probably the only real reason I am hanging on to it. Silly?

    ReplyDelete