Monday 28 May 2012

Where has the time gone??

Ten and a half years ago Adrian decided it was time for me to meet his kids.  They were 2, 4 and 8 at that time and I was terrified.  I figured I could win the two and four year old over pretty easy but the 8 year old scared the heck out of me.  Kids that age tend to be fiercely protective of their parents and because she lived with her mom and only had short visits with her dad I figured I was in for a treat.  I was worried that she would hate me on principle and that I would have to really work at things.  Now things weren't all rosy but for the most part we have always gotten along amazingly.  She did pull a couple of little things like reminding me that I wasn't "technically family" when we went to the movies the first time and I said it was no wonder families don't go anymore because it's too expensive.  Then there was the time we went to Happy Rolph's and the Carousel, on the way home she said to Adrian that they should all go there with her mom sometime.  She meant for him to come too and leave me at home.  Those were the only two times I remember her being bratty like that though.  We hit it off really well and I can't imagine life without her.  We can spend time together and I sometimes forget that I am supposed to be the parental figure.  I got the privilege of taking her for her first tattoo and have gotten to watch her grow up from that little 8 year old girl to a beautiful 19 year old women.  Last year she came to live with us I was so excited.  She had been going through a rough patch and needed a change of scenery.  I was so happy that she chose our house to be that change.  I think it has been a really good move for her.  She went back to highschool for one more semester and has met some great people and is getting awesome marks.  She is going to college in September too!!  I'm so proud of who she has become and everything she does.   For those of you who haven't figured it out yet that little 8 year old girl is Meaghan and today is her 19th birthday.   Happy Birthday Meagy!!!  Thank you for welcoming me into your life and for just being you. I love you more than you'll ever know:)

No comments:

Post a Comment