Wednesday 7 December 2011

Resolutions?

I've never been one to make New Year's resolutions.  I don't generally believe that they are good things.  So many people commit to losing weight, quitting smoking, exercise more, etc.  I've never made one and never really even thought about them until now.  Today had me really thinking about them though.  I don't think I will actually make a resolution but I will make a plan.  I'm going to start the year training to run 16k at the end of April followed by training to run a half marathon at the end of September.  I don't see that as a resolution exactly but more of a commitment.  I will be signed up for the 16k run by the end of next week and will register for the half marathon as soon as possible.  I know that I will run the 16k for two reasons.  I will have paid for it for one thing and the second reason is because there is a magazine out there right now with my picture in it and a caption saying that I am running it.  It's a local magazine but one that prints 3 articles each issue by people who I know from Runners' Edge.  There is usually a stack of these magazines on the counter at Runners' Edge which means many of my fellow runners have seen, or will see, the article.  That alone is just the push I need to make sure I do this. 

The flip side of this is that if I am going to train for these runs I am certainly not going to sit and eat crap on the days that I am not running, or for that matter on the days that I am.   I have always known that evening is my worst time for snacking so I just need to learn how to avoid that.  I'm thinking the best way to do this is to get busier.  I don't like to be busy every night of the week but I think if I can add a couple more things to my week I should be fine.  Starting in January Anna is going to be taking a Hip Hop class one evening a week and I am thinking about joining a Zumba class or maybe the YMCA.  The Y has lots of things for the kids to do as well as us so it's a win/win situation.

Now that I have all of this planned it's time to take action on it and get training!!! 

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! I am a "walker" but hope to run a half marathon in 2012! I plan to start with a 5k and work my way up. Thanks for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete