Sunday 14 September 2014

A Tough Decision = A Great Run

I will not be running a fall half marathon.

There it's out.

I will not be running for a variety of reasons but the biggest one is my family and out plans.  See in January we are going to Florida for a week and we want to go to Universal Studios and a few other fun places.  We will probably need to rent a car for the time we are there.  There will be many expenses.  We have told the kids that there will be no extra, unnecessary spending. So why do I get to justify spending over $100 for one race?  

Reason number two?  When I started running it was for my health and so I could play with my kids without getting super tired and having to sit or watch.  It was not to spend hours and hours training each week for races.  Does this mean I won't run any races?  Of course not.  I still fully intend to run the Niagara Falls Women's Half next June.  It was my first half and has a spot in my heart.  This training I have not had my heart in it.  My head has not totally been in it either which has made training suck.  I wasn't looking forward to my runs anymore.  I was tired and the rest of the day after my long runs I felt like crap and didn't want to do anything.  Doesn't exactly fit with my original reason for running does it?

I spent a lot of time this past week thinking about it and looking at the consequences of not doing a race.  I know that I run more if I am training because I have to, thay was the biggest thing to consider.  I know I might struggle to keep going but I feel like I am motivated this time more than in the past.  I know I want to be able to run a good race next spring and I know to do that I have to keep going now. 

Today was my first run that was just for me and my health.  No training goal, no pressure to be fast or to be better than last time.  Just a run for me.  I ran 10k and it was awesome.  I felt great through most of the run despite the nagging feeling that I am getting a cold.  It was just me and my run.  

What's my plan now? I really like the 10,12 and 14k distances so I will keep my long runs fluctuating between those distances.  I may throw in the odd 16k when I am feeling good.  Come the new year I will make a schedule and train for the Half in June.  Hopefully by then I will be down some weight and feeling good about the training.  Until then I'll just enjoy the run!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on thinking things through and making your decision Selena. You are right about your health and family being priority. Races sure are darned expensive! You can do it. If you aren't dreading the runs, maybe it will be easier to keep it up. Can your girls bike well enough to ride along with you? I bet they would enjoy doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made the best decision for you and your family. Just because you're not doing a half, doesn't mean you still can't run and enjoy yourself! Trust me, I've been to Universal Studios, it's worth it for the amount of fun you'll have!!!

    ReplyDelete