Thursday 31 January 2013

Self Discovery

Well this week went very different than I anticipated but in a fabulous way!  Our training was some of the best I have ever been a part of and I think everyone there agreed.  Instead of learning all about what is out there to support people with developmental disabilities we focused on ourselves and working together better.  I don't think I've ever really talked about work in my blog before because this is not what my blog is about.  For those reading who don't know, I work for a small agency (about 50 employees) that supports adults with developmental disabilities.  We are working on Person Centered Thinking and Planning for the people we support.  This week we focused on using some of that person centered thinking to look at ourselves and our teams.  I found this very beneficial and am super excited to go back to my everyday work refreshed and ready to work harder than ever.  The past year or two in our field has been one of change and much stress.  This has come out in many different ways but I think we broke down a lot of barriers for ourselves and our teams this week.

One of the things we will be doing is making something called a One Page Profile for ourselves.  It will include things like what is important to us, what other people like and admire about us, and how to support us in our jobs.  I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!  I'm excited to see how these can really make a difference to our everyday working environment and relationships.  I think this is going to be a very good thing!  I also think this is something I am going to do with my kids.  As I have mentioned before Adryanna has a heart defect and I have always been leery of telling new adults in her life about this because I am afraid they will limit her activities out of fear.  Don't get me wrong all of the important people are told but I think that having something like this one page profile for her that details what her defect is and how it effects her is important.  I also think she has a very quirky personality that her current teacher has a really good understanding of but I worry that next year or others in the future won't understand her so well and she'll get kind of lost in the shuffle.  I also think this is a valuable tool for all kids to have and maybe, just maybe if I give one to her teacher for her she will see it and think it's a great idea.

It's interesting how a week that has lifted so much weight off our shoulders can be both mentally stimulating and exhausting.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming weeks and months but right now I'm more importantly looking forward to bed:)

No comments:

Post a Comment