Wednesday 2 January 2013

New Doctors

Just before Christmas I decided I had put it off long enough and booked an appointment to get my flu shot.  Little did I know that when I got to the doctor I was in for quite a shock.  Turns out my family doc had decided to retire from family practice and didn't think it was important to tell anyone immediately.  For whatever reason he made the decision quite quickly, so quickly that when we called to book the appointment no one knew and when we went to it just 10 days later he only had two days left.  Had I not needed that flu shot who knows when I would have found out.  It has been more than two weeks since his actual retirement and still no form letter or anything from his office.  Oh well that just pushed me to find a much needed new doctor.

Last week I went to meet a new doctor who had been recommended by a friend.  His office is close to home, he has great hours and he seemed to be very nice and knowledgeable   So before leaving I signed the paperwork and went back today for my mini physical.  He said he likes to do a sort of baseline just to see where things stand.  It was the usual blood pressure check, heart rate, listen to breathing and the dreaded weigh in.  I thought for sure he would tell me that I was going to die if I didn't do something and would instantly assume that I was lazy.  Much to my surprise he did none of those things.  He remembered that during our interview I said that I run and exercise.  He encouraged me to keep it up and to eat healthy.  He even joked when he asked how I felt about my height and weight and I responded with "I would like to be taller and skinnier", he responded with "I'll see what I can do".  No "you're too damn fat, you need to lose weight, find a good salad recipe".  These are all things my previous doctor said on more than one occasion. On the contrary this doctor said that I was doing a good job and to keep it up.  You know what my internal response to that was?  I have a couple of weeks before I have to go back for blood work results and I'm going to make him proud by losing a couple of pounds so that he knows I really am trying.  My former doctor would have gotten some nasty words (thought not said) and a big old "see ya later".   I feel inspired by this new doctor to do better and to take care of my health just a little bit more than before.

I think this is going to be a good relationship!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment