Monday 24 September 2012

Proud Mama Moments

Today Adryanna brought home her first "test" ever.  It was a five word spelling test.  She's in grade one so tests aren't exactly complicated by adult terms but for a five year old it's a big deal.  Of course for my little girl it was no big deal.  She didn't even tell me about it actually.  When I checked her agenda book it was in there with a big star on it.  My little smarty pants got 5/5!!!  I was quite proud and promptly posted a picture of it on Facebook, emailed the picture to Daddy and our best friends, Erin and Stan.  Everyone is so proud of her.  When I said something to her about it she said, in a very matter of fact voice, "I know Mommy".   Perhaps she didn't really realize how awesome it is or maybe she just didn't care.  Either way she didn't seem impressed.  That is until later on.  As the evening went on she told me that only two kids got a star.  She then said she thinks it's because they are the only ones who got them all right.  I still don't know if she gets that it's super awesome to get perfect on a test but I'm sure proud of her.  Some would disagree with me but getting good marks is very important.  I want her to understand that hard work pays off and she will get further in life if she tries hard in school so I will make a big deal when she brings home good marks.


Today's test:)


The flipside of that is that I'm not sure she had to try very hard.  We have been sent home a list of words for her to practice at home.  In class they will be doing five words a week and this list goes until November.  She can read every word on the list with no real effort, she can spell all of this weeks words.  The important thing to note is this kid loves books.  I have pictures of her at a year old sitting in a box of books.  She has easily a hundred books in her room.  We have read to her almost daily since she was an infant.  I'm sure all of these things contribute to her success and I hope she never loses this passion for learning.
Just over a year  old












No comments:

Post a Comment