Wednesday 12 September 2012

Broken Records!

I'm beginning to feel like a broken record!!  I keep committing to doing better only to take two steps back and have to start over again.  This post is kind of one of those posts.  I decided last week that September was going to be a new start for me and so far I'm doing well.  This week has been exceptionally good despite the issues I've been having with my knee.  I've worked out three nights in a row and have been eating amazing!!  I've snacked little and kept things nutritious.  I've been careful not to snack in the evenings and have been guzzling water like it's going out of style.  I'm very happy with all of this!!  I just really hope I can keep the momentum going.

About my knee!!  I mentioned a bit ago that I was having trouble and was seeing the Chiropractor about it.  Well last week things seemed to be getting a lot better.  I was almost totally pain free after my workouts and by the next day there was nothing.  I was doing my adductor stretches and icing as instructed.  Then Sunday got here.  We took the girls to the park and I was going to run after the fun.  Well that didn't go as planned!  At the park I stepped down from a curb and felt a sharp pain in my knee.  It felt okay a few minutes later but got tight and uncomfortable after a bit.  Monday it was getting better but was tight after the gym.  When I told the chiropractor about it he referred to what happened as our bodies "oh fuck reflex".  It's when your body thinks it's going to get hurt and something tenses up but then forgets to release.  It's a very technical term I know!!!  So last night I ran and it felt okay but not great.  Today was scary!!!  The whole inside of my thigh and knee were super tight and sore.  I wasn't sure what to do but was instructed to stretch and ice as much as I could.  I did that and found that the more I moved the better it felt.  So off to the gym tonight and 25 minutes on the elliptical followed by some super stretching and it feels 100 times better.  I'll ice like crazy tonight and hope for a good run tomorrow.   It's a staff meeting day so that means a fair amount of sitting.  I'm going to have to get up and stretch a lot during the meeting and keep my ice pack going but I think it should be okay.  

If things don't go well tomorrow I'll just keep icing and stretching.  I won't let this get the better of me.  I'm feeling good and plan to stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment