Monday 16 July 2012

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back!

Why is it that when I fall off the wagon and finally try to get back on something always goes wrong??  Last week started out excellent in the eating and exercise department.  I made it to the Y twice and ran with the group on Tuesday.  My plan for the rest of the week was to run home from Anna's soccer game on Thursday, run with the group in Niagara on the Lake on Saturday and the Y on Sunday.  I was so looking forward to Saturday's run.  The path the group ran is a beautiful tree lined path just beside the river.  I've never run it before and it was looking to be a great change of scenery.  I didn't even mind the thought of leaving the house by 6:30am on a Saturday.  Then it hit!!  Somewhere, some how I caught a stomach bug.  Now I was in denial for the first day or so.  I have a very sensitive stomach to begin with and deal with some pretty intense pain at times so I thought nothing of it the first day or so that it was bothering me.  My first line of defense was to stop taking iron for a few days.  By the time Thursday afternoon arrived I knew I was sick though and packed myself up for the day.  I came home, took some meds and dragged myself to Anna's soccer game.  I hate to miss things like that.  By bedtime I had chills but was still in some denial.  I got everything ready for work the next day.  By morning I knew I was out for the count.  I called in sick, cancelled appointments, sent the kids off to camp and daycare then set myself up on the couch with a pillow, blanket and book.  I stayed there (mostly) until Sunday morning!!!  It was horrific!  I had no appetite at all and no energy to do anything.  I finally forced myself to eat something Saturday night and Sunday ate fairly well.  Today I seem to be back to normal and even attempted a trip to the gym.

This is where the tricky part comes in though.  I feel fine now but knowing that I went most of three days without eating and only drinking small amounts tells me that I shouldn't push things to far.  I kept my cardio workout slower than usual and cut the time down from 35 minutes to 20 minutes.  I did all of my usual weight machines but cut the reps from 15 to 10 or 12 on most of them.  A couple felt really easy so I did the full 15.  I'm at a loss for what to do for running tomorrow though.  I know that going early in the morning isn't going to be an option because I'm still pretty tired and have a hard time getting up on a good day.  I know that tomorrow is expected to be the hottest day of the week so part of me says it won't kill me to skip it but the other part says it is not ok.  I think my plan right now might be to wait until the girls are in bed and go for a short run then.  Hopefully by 8:30pm it will be cool enough to be reasonable.  I'll keep it to 30 minutes tops and push a bit further on Thursday night after soccer.

I had every intention of posting a weigh in this week and I will probably do that tomorrow but I don't know that I can count the numbers as being a real reflection of anything.  I said last week that I had gained a few pounds when I got lazy for a few weeks.  Being sick got rid of all of that but I don't trust it.  Last week when I weighed myself I had gained about 6lbs since my last picture post.  Last night when I weighed myself I had lost 7lbs in less than a week.  Obviously this is from being sick so I'll weigh in tomorrow and post a picture as soon as I have time but I will not worry if I gain a couple of pounds back in the next week.  It's just not natural to lose that much weight in a week and I'm sure that nothing can stop some of it from coming back.

No comments:

Post a Comment