Monday 11 June 2012

Drinking in the Dirt 13

This past weekend we went camping with my brother in law and a group of friends.  It's a trip that they started back in 2000 and it has grown over the years.  We have been 6 times now and have a great time each year.  The girls have a great time and get to meet and spend time with other kids.  We get to spend time with adults and not worry so much about what the kids are doing. 

We arrived later on Thursday evening and quickly set up.  The girls were very happy to see Uncle Marc and to see that there were already a couple of other kids there.  Anna made friends with Molly and Christina just followed them around.  They were both tired and asked to go to bed shortly after we arrived.  We stayed up and had some drinks with the rest of the adults.  I went to bed too late but it was a fun night.



The signs that were made for the kids area
Friday started too early with the girls wide awake as soon as the sun came up.  After we realized that they just weren't going back to sleep we goofed around in the tent for a bit watching silly videos that I have taken of them with my phone.  Once other people started getting up we went out and had some breakfast.  We hiked our way to the showers and played at the funky playground.  The equipment is very old school fun.  By the time we got back to the site Aunt Zuzi had arrived and the girls were happy to see her too.  We had lunch, played for the afternoon.  The kids were excited to go back to the playground after dinner then to roast marshmallows.  The fun part of camping is that we usually let them stay up until they ask to go to bed which usually is way later than bedtime but not too late.  I think they were in bed about 10pm each night which I don't think is terrible.

Playing on the swings
Saturday morning we woke up to rain but it didn't last long.  Adrian took the girls out of the tent and let me sleep until breakfast was ready.  There is nothing better than bacon and eggs for breakfast when you're camping.  Once the rain cleared up it was a beautiful day.  We stayed at the site for most of the day and spent time chatting and playing.  The girls hung out in "Fun Towne" playing with the other kids.  After dinner they did a scavenger hunt and the prizes were fun glow necklaces that they very much loved.  Again there was a fire and marshmallows. 

Yummy marshmallow!!
Sunday we packed up first thing and headed out.  The girls are already talking about next year and I'm planning how to keep them better protected from the bugs.  The poor kids both have horrible allergic reactions to mosquito bites.  Christina's eye swelled shut from one on her cheek and she couldn't walk last night because her leg was so swollen.  Anna's ankle got the worst of it but they are both getting regular doses of benadryl and should be back to normal quick.  I took them in to the doctor today just to make sure it's nothing more.  He gave us a good plan of attack for the future so hopefully it will all work out well.

I didn't weigh myself this morning because honestly I was a bit afraid.  I didn't eat much this weekend other than my meals and a couple of snacks but I wasn't very active aside from the hikes through the forest to the showers and the playing at the park.  I also drank way too much alcohol and not nearly enough water.  Tomorrow is another day though and I'll face the scale in the morning:)

This week I also get to start running again.  Just short distances but it will be nice to be back out there.  I've enjoyed my rest week and enjoy the fact that I'm not really planning to train for anything this summer.  I think for now I will just run for the fun of it and worry about training for a race in a couple of months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment