Sunday 24 July 2011

Holy Hotness!!

Saturday morning at 6am I got up for my run and one of the first things I always do is check the weather to see what I am up against.  This weekend it was 24 with a humidex of 34!!!  I knew it was going to be one tough run.   I knew these days were coming where it was going to be too hot to sit still let alone run so I was as prepared as I thought I could be.  I fondly remembered what it was like running in the snow then laced up my shoes and headed out into the heat.  By the time we left the store at 7am it was already getting hotter and the sun was shining strong.  I set off with the group and shortly after out stretch break I was chugging along by myself.  I made it to the 4k and happily turned around to return.  By the time I got to about 5.5k I was fading fast.  I walked a fair amount of the rest but I was pleased that I moved 8k.  I was hot and tired but felt great!  It is comforting that some of the long time runners were coming back reporting a hard run too.  It shows me that I'm not neccessarily weaker than the others, it was just a really hot, hard run.

We went to our bbq later in the day and I stuck to my plan to eat a burger and salad but to avoid too much of the snacks.  I did however discover another super yummy treat that is by no means healthy but at least it was low fat!!  Gummy Bears soaked in Malibu rum and frozen.  Oh my goodness were those tasty!!  I was a good girl and only had a small amount.  We had a great time with good friends.  The kids ran and played while the parents chatted.  I had to run around quite a bit too because Christina is potty training and is totally obsessed with the potty and toilet.  Overall it was a great day!

Today we hit the first stop on the birthday train.  I got to hold a teeny tiny newborn baby!  We went swimming and had a great visit with the other Mommy's while the toddlers ran around with the bigger kids.  I always enjoy spending time with the other Mommy group families. Again I was able to stick to my plan not to over indulge. 

This week isn't supposed to be quite as hot so I am hoping to get out there for a bit longer runs on Tuesday and Thursday then come Saturday I plan to do 9k and if I can run at least 8k of that I will be very happy.  I am going to plan out my meals very carefully and try to avoid too much sodium this week.  I think that has been one of my biggest obstacles during my runs as I love salty foods. I have been experimenting with other things to add flavour to my food.

This weeks weigh in was a bit tricky because I have been using my mom's scale (she lives with us too) and this week I got my own.  When I stepped on the new scale I got a bit frustrated at first because the number was higher then the one I reported last week.  So, I went and got on the other scale right away to see what it said.  It had much better news!  From now on I will use the new scale and the results will be based on the new numbers.

Here are the results:  Mom's scale - 240.6
                                New scale - 242.6

So overall a half pound loss which is ok in my books.  Any loss is a good loss as far as I'm concerned.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the loss but, more importantly, on toughing it out through a brutal run and making healthy choices for the rest of the weekend. Fingers crossed for cooler temps this week eh?

    ReplyDelete