Wednesday 1 August 2012

Wednesday is Weigh day:)

It's been an interesting couple of days for us!  Monday we had to take Adryanna to McMaster.  This time it wasn't for her heart this time though.  About 6 months ago when I was giving her a bath I saw a lump in her groin.  As most mothers would I had an  internal freak out, then called her dad in to show him.  We decided to take her to the doctor the next day.  The next morning when I looked to see if it was bigger or the same I found that it was gone completely!  YAY!!!  Or not so YAY.  That night I looked again and there it was.  So I called the doctor and got her an appointment.  Of course when we got there it was totally gone.  He said possibly a hernia but as long as it kept going away not to worry.  It has come and go almost daily since then but it's always gone in the morning.  When we went to the doctor a couple months ago for a totally unrelated issue and Adrian asked if I had ever mentioned it to the doctor (he doesn't have the most fantastic memory).  The doctor looked again and again he couldn't see or feel anything.  He did however decide that perhaps we should have her checked out by the surgeons to decide if it was a hernia.  Since she has a heart defect any possible surgery has to be done at McMaster so we were sent there.

This brings us back to Monday.  Within a few minutes and a quick exam they said she did indeed have an Inguinal Hernia.  The best explanation is that we are all born with these little tubes that come down into our groin from our abdomen.  In girls they serve no purpose and in boys they guide the testicles into the right spot.  In most kids these tubes close in the first year or so after birth.  In some they don't close at all.  Adryanna is one of those ones:)  The really interesting part for me is that it's not just her intestine that is falling in.  It could be an ovary, Fallopian tube or her intestine.  It could also be something else that happens to wiggle it's way down there.  We were given instructions to reduce it if it's bothering her and what to do if we can't.  She has been placed on the wait list for surgery and should have it done in six months unless it gets worse.  I'm happy with that time frame.  If it was bothering her I might push for sooner but since it's not I'm not going to bother.

All of this did not interfere with our exercise.  As soon as we left the hospital she asked if we were going to make it back in time for the Y.  I have gotten back on track pretty well.  I'm still not making it to running as much as I would like but you have to take what you can get.  This weeks weigh in shows the results of my renewed commitment too!  Last week I was at 237 and this week I am at 235.6.  That's a great loss in my books!

No comments:

Post a Comment