Sunday 4 March 2012

100th Post

When I started this blog it was on a whim.  I wasn't totally sure what I would write about or how long it would last.  Over the past 100 posts I feel like it has really taken shape.  I'm using it to keep myself accountable, I think I've inspired a couple of people and I've learned a lot about myself.  Looking back at where I've come from and where I want to be I think I am well on my way.  It took me some time to get to this place but I think I have now come to a place that will get me where I want to be.  I read somewhere not long ago that in order to be successful at losing weight you have to act now like you picture yourself when you are at your goal weight.  I took that and ran with it, literally and figuratively:)  I sat back and looked at what needed to change and how.  I then decided what changes needed to be made right away and what could happen slowly. 

One certain thing was that I needed to make some key changes to my nutrition.  After some soul searching I came to realize that food addiction is real and that there are some foods that I really can't eat or have to be so very careful about eating.  The main ones are the typical junk foods.  Chips are my hardest battle and I have to be so very careful about eating them.  Just last night Anna brought up a bag that my mom had and I had a handful, then another and another, then made her take them back down and asked her not to bring them up anymore.  I knew that if they were up here I would very easily eat the whole bag without thinking about it.  Once I start I have a very hard time stopping, then I think about them and end up with another bag and another and another.  I know this now and I won't let it happen again!  Pop was another issue but I have a pretty good handle on that now.  Mostly because I know that if I don't drink enough water I will have harder runs and I don't want that.  I now drink water most of the day aside from my morning coffee.  I rarely drink pop anymore and when I do it is something I can have one glass or can of then move on. Chocolate and candy are less of an issue but they are still things I need to watch or I could eat too much.  I really like warm melty chocolate though so I have to watch that.  I've never been really big on going to the store just for chocolate or candy though.

I also had to look at exercise more closely.  Yes I have been running for 18 months now but I wasn't always really consistent with it.  I was very dedicated for the first 6 months then started missing a run here and there.  I still loved running but it was easy to come up with excuses to miss.  I realized that and knew that I needed to be more serious about exercise.  I signed up for a half marathon and joined the YMCA.  For the past month and a half I have been running 3 days a week and going to the YMCA 3 days a week.  Part of the training for the half marathon is to run 5 days a week.  Two are just short recovery runs so I decided those could be done at the Y.  On Wednesday nights I join a Run Circuit class and on Sunday I do one of three things.  I either run on the treadmill (yuck), use the elliptical or join a step class.  On the training plans Benny makes up he suggests either the elliptical or the bike if you want a change from the recovery runs.  I have yet to ask about the step class but I also haven't done it since I officially started my training.  I am really enjoying my new exercise routine and am beginning to really see results.  In the past 8 weeks I have lost just over 10lbs, completely overhauled my diet and feel great about all of it:)

Who knows what the next 100 posts will bring but if things continue on the path they are on now I think we are all in for some exciting times:)  Thanks for reading and stay tuned!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment