Saturday 11 January 2014

Always Room to Learn!

This week we have been in a bit of a deep freeze in Southern Ontario along with many other places.  Tuesday it was so cold that many things got cancelled including my run.  Thursday was much less cold so I went out with a friend and ran 5k.  It was a great run and I felt good at the end.  After that run and last Sunday's run I decided that I was going to up my distance today.  I ran just under 8.5k and it was tough but felt great at the end.  The funny part today was that I wore carpris, a tshirt and thin jacket and was much to warm for a good part of the run.  I even took the jacket off for a bit.  That was annoying though because then it was tied around my waist.  Overall it was a good run though.

I discovered something this week.  I don't really think it was a new thought but a much clearer thought.  I would much rather run in cold winter temperatures that the dead heat of summer.  Part of that thought came during Thursday's run when I was talking about a friend that is away this week enjoying a much deserved vacation in the sun and sand.  She borrowed my Garmin so that she could track her runs while she is away. I was without a tracking device during my run which made me think of her in the heat.  In that moment when my bottom lip and chin were frozen I thought to myself that I would rather that than sweltering sun.  I love the sun and heat but only if I am sitting in a chair not moving.  Running is a much better sport for winter, spring and fall.

I've been running for over 3 years now and every run teaches me something new.  Today I learned that despite the fact that I let my distance slide, I can still go for 8k and be standing at the end.  Perhaps that Half Marathon will be a much better one than I think!!!

1 comment: