Thursday 9 May 2013

The Terrible Things Running Has Done!

It's been two and a half years since I started running and it has done some terrible things to me!!!  Okay so not really but when I started I heard all the things that were bad about running.  You know the usual "you're going to kill your knees", "People die running marathons you know?" (people die from sitting on the couch eating chips too), "My uncles, friends, cousins, grandfather ran and now he needs a hip replacement".   I heard it all.  I ignored it all and chose to hear the people telling me all the good stuff.

Last summer I ran my first half marathon.  The training was hard, long and exhausting.  I completed that half marathon in 3:17 and lived to tell about it.  I lost three toenails which have just finally grown back to looking like nothing ever happened.  I was so proud of my accomplishment and still am.  What I didn't do is keep up my distance or frequency of running when that half marathon was over.  Now I am back to short distances but building that back up.  Wednesday morning was my best run in a very long time and it finally felt like I was going to be able to get back to longer distances.  While I was on the last 500m or so I started thinking about all the things that have changed since that first hellish 10 minute run that I thought was going to kill me.  I decided to share some of the reasons I fell in love with running as well as some of the things I have learned since becoming a runner!

1.  I have become a healthier mom and better example to my girls.
2.  I have learned that the sunshine is beautiful while it is coming up at 5:30am in the spring and equally as beautiful when it is setting at 5:30pm in the cold winter.
3.  I have learned that I will not freeze to death in subzero temperature, while snow is blowing horizontally at me.
4.  I have learned that it can feel hot during the coldest days of winter.
5.  I can now run across a parking lot in fancy shoes, during a rain storm, and not be out of breath when I get inside.
6.  Running has helped me find who I am and has been a silent friend when I needed to vent.  People say that running is better than a good therapist.
7.  Running has made me a more confident person who is more willing to speak up for the things I believe.
8.  I have learned that I am stronger and more determined than I ever thought.

I'm sure the list could go on forever but I'll leave it there.   What has running taught you?

No comments:

Post a Comment