Friday 2 December 2016

Well Now I've Done It!!

So a little over 6 years ago I started this journey.  It started with a "Tell me about the Runners' Edge Beginner Clinic".  I figured if I could run a little it would help me get some weight off.  I was "never" going to run further than 5k.  November 2010 I ran that 5k and said that was it.  I would keep going at that distance but no further.  Then someone said "How far are you going?" one Saturday morning.  I replied with "5k" which was met with an inquisitive look and a "why not further?".  Well I decided to try 6k that day. 

A few weeks later I thought, maybe 10k, I could probably do that but 10k would definitely be my furthest.  So I signed up for a 10k race in August of 2011.  Someone said the next would be a Half Marathon and I said "Nope! Never!". Then I ran that 10k and waiting for the shuttle back to the car I felt pretty invincible and thought "maybe a Half?" I got a text a few months later about a brand new Woman's Half and there would be wine!!!  Okay, maybe a Half but just one and that is it!! 

So I trained and ran that Half in 2012 and fell in love.  Decided that I could run more of these Half Marathons but "That's it!!  Nothing more!".  I have run four total and am signed up for my fifth in June 2017.

Then I thought hey let's get some good bikes to ride with the kids and for me to add some cross training but "That's all, no crazy duathlons or even crazier triathlons!" There are fish in the water you know! 

Then I went to cheer on a couple friends at a triathlon.  Hmm, Maybe a duathlon?  That never happened though.  Not sure why but it just didn't.  Someone kept telling me how fun triathlons were and I kept saying no way.  There are still fish in the water.  I can't swim well and there are fish!!! 

This brings us to earlier this week when I walked into the office.  I am looking at a couple of the same upcoming runs as a co-worker and the price was going up on one of them soon.  She says to me "Are you signing up?". I assumed she is talking about one of the races we were talking about.....she wasn't.  She said "check your email".  So I did.  There was an email about the Grimsby IronGirl Triathlon.  I giggled and told her she was crazy.  She told me there was a medal!!  And that it would be fun and a short distance, and I could touch the bottom the whole swim.  Hmm, maybe????

Then she talked to a few other people at work and all of a sudden it seemed like a great idea!  Now several of us are signed up.  That's right this "never more than a 5k" girl is going to become a triathlete on August 13, 2017!  It's going to be an interesting 8 months so stay tuned.  This is going to be fun!!

1 comment: