Thursday 7 May 2015

Who knew?

Just about 5 years ago I was getting ready to return to work from my second maternity leave.  I was fat, tired and felt like crap most of the time.  I decided enough was enough and started walking most mornings.  After a while walking wasn't cutting it.  I can only walk so fast and so far before work.  So I talked to a friend about running.  I didn't know if I could do it but I knew I had to try.  

That fall I began running. Slowly and for short distances but with some encouragement and the help of the local running club I did it.  I even got to 5k.  

Then that wasn't enough.  One Saturday morning someone asked how far I was running and when I said 5k he said "why not farther".  It wasn't a judgement is was just "why?"  So I went farther.  I signed up for a 10k.  That went so well I decided maybe, just maybe, I could do a half! There was no stopping me now! 

So I did a half, then a second one.  Now I'm training for a third one.

Somewhere along the line I joined the gym.  I have favourite classes and the instructors know my name.  I feel like I belong.  

I started taking a CycleFit class last fall.  This week I got a bike!  A good bike!  

Tonight I had to run 5k.  It was my fastest one ever and it was hot!  But I wasn't ready to sit just yet so out came the bike.  The girls and I took a wee ride then they stopped to play with friends and I took a spin around the block.  The 4k block:). It felt great and I totally could have gone farther.  

I sit here writing this and thinking who was that girl 5 years ago??  She wouldn't even recognize the one here today. Movement is a part of my life and I am so very thankful she decided to take that first step.  Who knows where I'll be in another 5 years but I know it will be awesome!

Who knew??

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    I was just bored, distracted and was browsing through people's blogs randomly by clicking the "Next Blog>>" link at the top of blogpost. Your introduction caught my attention. Indeed as you said you did inspire at least one person - me. I'm reasonably in OK shape although I could defiantly improve in my level of physical activity but more importantly I want to use your jorney and words as an inspiration to get better in a area of life I'm struggling with - getting better organized overall and also improving my career skills to get a more satisfying job. Just loved this paragraph you wrote: "I sit here writing this and thinking who was that girl 5 years ago?? She wouldn't even recognize the one here today. Movement is a part of my life and I am so very thankful she decided to take that first step. Who knows where I'll be in another 5 years but I know it will be awesome!"

    It makes me wonder maybe I too can take one step at a time and maybe 5 years from now instead of constantly repenting for the lost opportunities I can say 5 years later that I sincerely did my best and as a result got meaningful results. And as you said it - it's about taking the first step and then sticking with it....Thank you for your blog!! Best of luck to you - keep running/exercising/try some yoga and also eating healthy - lots of fruits and vegetables!!

    ReplyDelete