Saturday 20 April 2013

A bit of an update!

Recovery from tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy is on average two to three weeks for children and a month or more for adults.  Christina is 9 days post op and is almost 100% back to herself.  The main reason for this surgery was her giant tonsils.  She did not have recurrent infections.  In fact she has only had one throat infection and that was only three weeks before surgery.  Her tonsils were just so huge that she would snore so loud it could be heard in another room and they believed that she had sleep apnea.  The hoped outcome is that she will no longer snore and will sleep without any interruptions.  In the end this should improve her mood, behaviour and eating habits.  She fit the definition of sleep deprivation almost to the letter.  She had trouble focusing, mood changed at the drop of a hat and she never seemed full.  So now that we are well on the way to healing and sleeping better the truth will show.  Already I can see an improvement in her eating but that may just come from the fact that it still hurts to eat.  Her focus has been somewhat better and she is listening better.  She's still not sleeping perfectly because her throat drys out and hurts but another week should do it and we can start to really determine if her wildness is nature or sleep deprivation.  I don't want to see too much of a change in personality but with her starting school in a few months I need her to be able to focus better and listen better.

As for me I got up and ran this morning.  I went back and forth on what to do and decided running was less work than going to the gym.  It was a cold and ugly run with lots of walking but I did it and am damn proud of myself.  Two days ago it was over 30c and today it was -4c with the windchill.  My lungs don't like the cold but held up pretty well.  The problem I ran into was the wind.  I failed to look at that part of the weather when I checked the temperature.  It was a very strong wind that didn't let up and would almost stop me in my tracks when a gust would come up.  I walked alot of the part that was into the wind and used it for an extra push on the part that was with the wind.  I then decided to sprint the last 100m or so just for fun:)  I wanted to see how fast I could go!  I'm a turtle runner for the most part, slow and steady.  My average pace is around 9mins/km.  For that last 100m I ran 7:15mins/km!!!  I'm pretty proud of that and the fact that I didn't die when I stopped.  Tomorrow is swimming for the girls and I think Christina might be well enough to go back.  I think I would like to go early and work out before they swim:)

1 comment: