Monday 7 September 2015

What was it all about? Five years later.

Five years ago today I took the first step into Runners' Edge and began this wild and crazy journey.  Since that day my life has been anything but boring.  What started out as a "we'll see what happens" and "I'll probably die" turned into something life changing.

I've been thinking a lot lately about why I started.  I didn't do it so that I could hopefully one day run a 10k or half marathon. I didn't start it to make new friends or to become part of a group.  Those were all just wonderful side effects.  I did it for my health and my kids.

Somewhere along the last five years it became so much more.  I like the feeling of nausea I feel when stepping up to the starting line in a race and I love the smiles and waves from random strangers when I'm out for an early morning run.  I love the connections I have made because of running.  I love the confidence I have gained since starting.

Most of all though I love that I found a physical activity that I love and that has in turn made me love physical activity of all kinds.  I joined a gym.  I bought a bike.  I use the bike and gym as much as I run.  I have more energy.  Running has become one of my best friends.  At risk of sounding cliche it has been life saving.  I'm so much healthier than I was five years ago.  I can run with my kids. I can spend all day walking around the CNE and not feel dead at the end of the day.  I can go for a hike with my family and get lost and not worry that I won't make it out because I'm too out of shape.

I love running as much today as I did at the end of that first week of the beginner clinic.  That's why I have decided not to do a race this fall. It was becoming a chore, taking me away from what I started this journey for.  Fall is my favourite time of year, the time I like to be out doing things with my family not figuring out how I can get everything done and have a nap after I have run three hours.  I totally plan to keep running.  I've got a full out plan actually.  I'm creating myself a schedule of runs just like I would for a race only they will be no longer than 6k during the week and 10-12k on the weekends.  Come January I'll start ramping things up a bit more because I love the Niagara Falls Women's Half and want to do that in June.

The next phase of this journey is going to focus more on strength training.  It's no secret I want to lose some weight.  I have been talking to a few people who have dropped a significant amount of weight and  I've learned, through their experience and mine that training for a half marathon alone is not going to help me lose.  In fact many people actually gain a few pounds while training.  I have also learned that the more muscle I have the easier the fat disappears.  Now don't start to freak out thinking I'm going to be come a crazy body builder,  I just want to be strong and lean.  At the beginning of this year I was faithfully doing two classes a week at the gym that focused mostly on strength and I lost more in that time than I did all of last year.  As I was training for my half I backed off some on those classes for fear of injury and because I was really tired.  I found out my iron was low but by then soccer season was here and I couldn't attend those classes anymore.  Next week I will be able to get back to those classes and will be able to do them faithfully for a while.  Hopefully by the time I start ramping my distance up for that June Half Marathon I'll be much stronger and perhaps a little faster!

I'm so glad I took those first steps five years ago.  I've changed in ways I didn't know were possible and all of them good.  I don't know where I'll be in five years but I know it's going to be wicked!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure that you are on the right direction! All that you do will bring you a result. Of course, it will not be so easy and fast, but it certainly will be sustainable and long term, so keep going and keep posting inspirational posts!

    ReplyDelete