Monday 22 July 2013

Who Knew?

I think everyone knows I have struggled to find my motivation to work out over the past few months.  I have been better than my pre-running days but have slacked a lot and struggled to get back out there.  I knew I needed to change things up a bit and perhaps find a new exercise to throw into the mix.  I still really love running and the way I feel during and after but I'm having a hard time remembering that in the wee hours of the morning when I need to get up.  Add to that the fact that Adrian doesn't get home from work until 10:30pm most nights and I just haven't been getting out as much as I should.  Tonight I decided to get my running clothes on and run the track at the high school where Adryanna has her soccer practice.  She practiced, I ran, it was wonderful.

The thing that no one knew was that I might actually like swimming.  I really suck and have never been taught how to swim properly but how hard is it really?  Oh yeah, really hard.  Luckily the basic motions are not rocket science and I can get by.  I learned this weekend that swimming burns incredible amounts of calories and who can complain about an exercise that is in water and keeps you somewhat cooler.  I decided that through the summer I will play around with swimming lengths at my mother in law's house every chance I can get and in the fall I will look at lane swimming times at the YMCA.  We'll see where things go from there.  I have never aspired to be a swimmer and certainly don't envision myself doing crazy things like triathlons (you have to ride a bike for that, bikes and I don't really get along well).  For now I will enjoy my new activity and see where it takes me.

Our garden is doing very well still and we have started to get cherry tomatoes ripe enough to eat.  We cut down one bunch of celery but will wait a few more weeks for more.  The stalks aren't very thick yet but they taste good.  Our broccoli was delicious and there are a few baby heads of broccoli growing now.  Pretty soon I will be having toasted tomato sandwiches with homemade mayo(Adrian makes it so much better than the store) for lunch.  I'm super excited for that!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good on you for getting in the pool. Doesn't the Y have classes for adults to teach proper technique? I may be wrong. Last summer, I bought my friend's bike that she had only used about 3 times. Ha! I did the test ride of it and not again and still not yet this year! It is just something I need to put on the calendar, I guess. I am kind of a wimp about exercising alone. I use my diabetes as an excuse, yet I will run on the treadmill alone in the house! I would be better off out on the street, if something were to happen. Then at least someone would see me and I wear a MedicAlert bracelet, so I would hopefully be well taken care of. I have been meaning to try the homemade mayo. We did a pretty good BBQ sauce. I need to find some good salad dressing recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figuring out what works for you and what motivates you is important! Is it's swimming, then I say do it! I just found out I really enjoying biking! Who knew!

    PS, super jealous of your garden and broccoli. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete