Thursday 8 May 2014

Another for the books!!

Saturday morning I got up and ran my longest training run to date. I ran 20k, most of which was into a headwind too.  It was a terrible and fantastic run all at the same time.  I was happily tired when I returned home.   I've been having some IT Band issues and was pretty sore but the stretching worked wonders and within an hour of getting home I was showered, fed and ready for an afternoon at Frogfest with the kids.  Frogfest is a celebration of Frog season at a local nature park.

As the day went on I could feel a cold coming on.  It seemed like my body knew that the hardest run was done and it let the virus in.  Sunday morning I went shopping and bought all the ingredients for a soup from my Oh She Glows cookbook called "on the mend red lentil-kale soup".  It is spicy and tasty and filling.  I made a pot of that and also bought stuff to make honey, lemon, ginger tea.  I ate the soup for a couple of days and drank the tea like crazy.  I am happy to report that I made it through that cold quickly and with no medications.  My mom was never shy about taking or giving us medications when we were sick but now I prefer to keep things to a minimum.  I take the things I have to but cold pills only seem to prolong the inevitable.  This time I managed to kick the cold in less than a week.  

This morning was my first run since Saturday.  I skipped my workouts for the first half of the week so that I could get a little extra rest.  I was nervous going out but quickly felt great.  It was the perfect run.  The weather was perfect, I watched the sun come up and the world wake up.  I felt great from step one to step 8905 (or at least that's how many steps my pretty pink fitbit says). 

Before today I was a little nervous for race day but after today's run I feel like I will be just fine!!  Three weeks to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment